Friday 4 May 2007

Two much-loved cats in need of a new home

At the end of June I will be moving from Ely and for reasons I needn't go into here the two much-loved and hopelessly indulged creatures pictured here cannot come with me. Parting from them will be among the more difficult things I have had to do in my life but it will be made marginally less difficult if I can find a good home for them (together) in which they will be pampered in the style to which they have become accustomed.




Harry (as in Potter), pictured at the top, and Boots (less imaginatively because of his feet) are half brothers born respectively on the 1st and 8th June 2002. Harry is the extrovert and a born communicator while Boots who is half as large again as his elder brother is more introverted and bestows his trust more sparingly. But watch out, he can become almost ecstatically loving when the moment is right.

Harry & Boots feature in Richard Surman's Cathedral Cats and in the June 2005 edition of Your Cat magazine. (Click back issues/back index page/June 2005.) I'm not sure whether the cover photo (left) of the recently-released compact edition of Cathedral Cats is of Boots but I think so. There's no doubt the photograph (below) of the inside cover of Your Cat. Ah, the price of celebrity!



If you think you you can help, either by providing H & B with a home yourself or by passing this information on to someone else who might, I will be in your debt. I can be contacted on +44 (0)1353 663071, +44 (0)7710 408288 or at swikner@fsmail.net .

7 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

ohhhhh... heartbreaking! I would help, but Sylvester would go nuts... I will, however, blog about it.

You must be so upset at them not being able to come with you!!

Stephen Wikner said...

Thanks so much for this supportive and helpful response.

Kasia said...

I don't know whether I feel sorrier for you or for Harry & Boots! I wish I could take them, but transatlantic adoptions for cats are a bit impractical...I will mention it to my friend in Manchester though, as I've been meaning to write her anyway. Maybe she knows someone...

Stephen Wikner said...

Thank you Kasia. You have of course correctly read my intention in placing an advertisement of this kind. I'm hopeful of identifying a friend of a friend.

Michelle Therese said...

I'm on a farm and farms always need cats - but they'd have to be able to be indoor/outdoor cats that go out at night! (and sleep in warm straw beds in any of the 8 barns...) I have 8 slinky lovely barn cats and two absolutely doted-on black cats, "King Tut" and "Brodgar" who are indoor/outdoor. I LOVE CATS!

Stephen Wikner said...

It would mean a significant life-style change for my two pampered moggies. That said, they are both accomplished hunters. Rabbits have been known to need rescuing hereabouts. If you are serious about the possibility about having them, can I suggest you e-mail me at the address at the end of this blog?

Michelle Therese said...

Hi Stephen! I'm going to be "up to my eyes" today so I thought I'd leave this quick comment: since you think your lovely pusses wouldn't mind having to duke it out a bit with new neighbors then I'm perfectly happy. I'll talk to my husband today and see if I can convince him that two more cats, rabbit hunters at that! (Yahoo!) would make an excellent addition at the farm. I love cats - I'd adopt 100 more! I'd take all of the strays and park them at the farm and let them live out their days hunting our 300+ acres!
Husband is 100% Orcadian and they take a bit of convincing that pets of any sort (vs. working animals) are acctualy a *good* thing haha! But as you can see...I've been sucessful so far: ten cats, one dog - all adopted/rescued/self-adopted.
If husband says yes, Are the pusses sorted? Would you be able to bring them up here to Orkney? (We are VERY busy on the farm and unable to leave.)
Pray to the Patron Saint of cats that this wife can convince this Orcadian farmer that *two* more moggies will be a wonderful thing hahaha!!